Sunday, April 03, 2005

A few brief words on the Slifkin ban

I know many keyboards have been bashed in agony over this story. Just wanted to add some thoughts from a different angle. The promulgation of the ban has led to the lampooning and ridicule of the rabbis who signed the ban in some quarters, especially in the blogosphere. I don't think it is appropriate to treat them in that manner (however tragically hilarious it sometimes gets) but we do need to find a way to respond. Though I have lost respect for these rabbis, I can still accept as part of Torah Judaism their straightforward Halachic decisions, but I must reject their Hashkafic/Aggadic/Meta-Halachic positions, and I call on those rabbis who agree with me to speak out. Let the voice of moderation ring forth, we are fighting for the future of Torah Judaism here.

Comments?

TRK

3 Comments:

At 4/03/2005 6:31 PM, Blogger MYG said...

How presumptuous.

 
At 4/04/2005 3:34 AM, Blogger TRK said...

mslatfatf,

please feel free to elaborate. I am interested in constructive comments.

TRK

 
At 4/05/2005 5:25 AM, Blogger Noam S said...

The Hashkafa that allows the Gedolim to sign the ban permeates and affects their views on halachic issues as well. If you dont accept their hashkafa, why would you accept their halacha? Of course they may know every single source on a topic, but I think that in most cases of psak, once you get to a certain level, more learning doesn't add a whole lot more, and what is more important is how you weigh and balance the sources, not how many acharonim you can stack on each side of the equation. I agree that they deserve respect for being the talmedei chachamim that they are, and for their personal middot and efforts on behalf of klal israel, but as far as being an halachic authority for me, unfortunately, its almost a different religion, the way they look at things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home