Monday, May 02, 2005

My Chag

The peaks and troughs, the highs and lows.

I always find Shabbat and Yomtov spiritually uplifting. Tranquil. I'm a voracious reader and I love the long afternoons with nothing else to do but read a great book, eat, drink, pee and sleep. A simple life for a simple man. I can get through a book a day over chag no sweat. It's incredibly relaxing, lying back reading Siddharta, The Name of the Rose, Fermat's Last Theorem (a couple of good Divrey Torah I'll share later), a book about Caeser's youth, some Dershowitz which depresses me (isn't it obvious to the world that Israel is a liberal democracy with an overly activist Supreme Court and not a pariah state with the worst record of human rights?). I also do some shteiging which inspires me, but then comes the dreaded motsey shabbat.

My neshomo yeterah (extra soul for the Shabbat) seems to tear off pieces off my soul every time it leaves. I feel a great vacuum on Saturday nights, a need to fill my life. Some of my lowest spiritual moments have occured on Saturday nights/Sundays and it's not directly due to existential boredom.

Otherwise, Chag was spent out and about experiencing life, eating wayyyyyyyyy too much (I never want to see another Matzah again - Moshiach please come!). I find Yom tov to be a cycle of daven eat sleep, daven eat sleep. Back to the daily grind.

TRK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home