Wednesday, June 01, 2005

More Modern Mussar

There's an episode of the Simpsons where Bart sells his soul to Millhouse for $5. Suddenly Bart no longer has the ability to laugh, even at senseless violence. He has a dream where everyone is rowing arrowing happily on a lake, with their souls in tow, and he is alone, lonely, sad and miserable. He has to hunt down the piece of paper with his soul on it, which had eventually made it's way back to Lisa.

I cannot fathom the soul, its power of laughter, empathy, joy, tears and pain. The ability to conceive of spirituality, martyrdom, altruism. My soul is me, yet not me. Struggling with my body, embodying my spirit, I am a unity of flesh and breath, bones and consciousness, G-d's touch is within me, pulling and pushing me.

TRK

5 Comments:

At 6/01/2005 12:19 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, I love that episode. Any-one who says that "The Simpsons" have no moral value and can't teach anything is just wrong. WRONG, I tell you!!
-OC

 
At 6/01/2005 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn- as I read your post I realise that I'm missing the Simpsons which is on right NOW.

 
At 6/01/2005 3:40 PM, Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

never saw it. But hey instead of little vignettes, why not try, lulei demistafina, to develop these into full-blown essays?

 
At 6/01/2005 10:14 PM, Blogger TRK said...

OC,

I think every Yeshiva should institute a daily Simpsons seder.

Anon,

Care to post some deeper thoughts from homer and co?

CJ,

Knowing myself and my gold-fish like attention span, I prefer to supply bite-size morsels of food to whet people's appetites. Also, it's really not my place to give mussar, just to show that the truth is out there.

TRK

 
At 6/02/2005 12:25 AM, Blogger Litvshe said...

You should all go listen to R' Daniel Feldman's shiur on the Simpson in Halachah.
http://www.yutorah.org/showShiur.cfm?shiurID=704507

 

Post a Comment

<< Home