Monday, April 18, 2005

I think I understand Shelo Asani Ishah - and another Pesach rant

You're stuck with a layabout husband who does nothing around the house. Monthly pains. A constant cycle of washing, cleaning, laundry, cooking, shopping, ironing. Pushing something that big through something that small. Constantly treated as an inferior - intellectually, financially, religiously. A second class citizen. If you haven't got a proper job on top of that then you are "just" a housewife. Merely a homemaker. I think I'm beginning to understand the Berachah Shelo Asani Ishah - thank you G-d for not making me a woman.

Then comes Pesach. It's not enough that you have to clean up and cook 6 meals for lots of people. No, we insist that every piece of dust is hustled out of the house. Dirt genocide. Ethnic cleansing of anything that may be mistaken for leaven by Mr. Magoo. A husband who can't help because he is too busy finding more things to be machmir about, to cause you more misery and agony. I'm going to say it again, and I demand every Rabbi repeats it ad infinitum. DUST IS NOT CHOMETZ. Shout it from the rooftops. Declare it in the press. Nail it to synagogue doors across the land written 95 times in big red letters by morning or I'll chop your balls off (film quote anyone?).

Wow, that felt good. If I help relieve the pressure one little bit for an overworked overstressed underappreciated unreimbursed person out there, I will have done my job.

Finally, to cheer you up before the impending redemption from cleaning and cooking, you must check out these two darn funny musical cartoons about Pesach - 50 cent comes to Seder and who let the Jews out.

TRK

9 Comments:

At 4/18/2005 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

Do you know why only men do the bedikas chometz the night of erev pessach ?

Women can't be trusted with such an important task, says the halacha.

Yet they do all the pre-Pessach cleaning. How ironic.

 
At 4/18/2005 5:13 AM, Blogger TRK said...

Hayim,

Thanks for pointing that out. It is discussed here: http://www.vbm-torah.org/archive/pesachim/04neemanut.htm where it seems they can do so and it seems to be a neemanut issue. I will see if I can dig anything else up.

TRK

 
At 4/18/2005 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting link.

I need to check it myself, but honestly I've seen that halacha lemaasseh women are not to be trusted with the bedikas chometz. I will try to locate the source for that.

Saying that it's a ne'emanut does not help much - why don't we trust them ? I know many women who are absolutely reliable.

 
At 4/18/2005 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life of Brian

 
At 4/18/2005 2:11 PM, Blogger TRK said...

anon - well done

 
At 4/18/2005 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those links are, lulei demistafina, awesome!

 
At 4/18/2005 10:55 PM, Blogger TRK said...

cj,

Glad I could cheer up your day. What are you always so fearful of when you comment? Is this misplaced modesty?

TRK

 
At 4/19/2005 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mishna Brura 432:8.

Actually it's more nuanced than what I wrote, "Midina" you can entrust the bdika to (Jewish) women, but lechatrila it's better not to.

 
At 10/30/2006 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRK, hope you're well. Would be nice to have your perspective on the latest entry on my blog. I think you'd be better suited than I am to provide an appropriate a response.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home