Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Institutionalized racism in the religious Jewish world

It exists. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Firstly, the idea of the "chosen people". In my eyes it means we have more responsibility - 613 commandments instead of 7. Yes, i know it's not really 613 and it's not really 7. Choseness implies superiority and is interpreted that way by many religious Jews. I don't believe it has to be though.

You can also find many racist statements in Jewish literature and tradition. You can pretty much find statements about anything you want, if you look hard enough. Maybe they were a product of their time. Who knows? But the statements exist.

There was also a certain degree of ethnic cleansing going on when Joshua entered the land. The 7 nations that lived there were to be destroyed. Under Jewish belief it was the Promised Land granted to us by G-d and the Jews were waging a battle for the future of humanity; would it be a pagan society that idolizes child-sacrifice or an ethically monotheistic society?

In the religious world many children are educated negatively towards the non-Jews and minorities as well. I've heard of one fellow Rabbi's Kid who married an Ethiopian girl in Israel. When he brought her back to his father's community, there was all sorts of whisperings and mutterings. I gather this is not a unique phenomenon.

People, this has got to stop. I may well be preaching to the converted here and I haven't provided any reasons why this racism is wrong - I hold it to be self-evident, but am happy to elaborate for any bigots out there.

It's prima facie wrong, and it's specifically wrong for Jews. We've been subjected to every sort of prejudice, racism, intolerance and bigotry in our history, let's stamp it out right now.

TRK

3 Comments:

At 4/14/2005 12:26 AM, Blogger LostSpirit said...

I will be honest with you and say that I have always disliked rabbishe enikluch (ribbies kids), they always seem to have an air of arrogance amougst many other dislikes, but after reading your blogs and I can see that there are some balanced ones. I agree with what u say and I Might as well push my blog have a look at http://lost-spirit.blogspot.com/2005/03/chasidim-racism.html

 
At 4/14/2005 9:32 AM, Blogger TRK said...

Thanks LS, maybe I took the title to show people that RKs are not just arrogant egotists.

I think I read your post which may have triggered off my chain off thought, as well as a discussion I had with someone recently whether my mother would have a problem marrying an Ethiopian Jew. This girl told me her mother would freak out, which amazed and shocked me.

TRK

 
At 8/04/2005 8:25 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I know this is an old post - thought I'd comment anway.

Have you seen the back of Mishpocha Junior magazine lately? They run a cartoon strip that features black characters with big round eyes and bright red lips. I haven't read it much, but I'd be surprise if they didn't say things like "Yes, suh, Massuh"

It makes me think twice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home