Friday, April 08, 2005

the double life of a secret blogger

I walk down the street nowadays and I think to myself - does that guy know who I really am? What if the lady at the store knew I was the Rabbi's Kid? Maybe she has her own blog "confessions of a checkout woman", telling lurid stories about storage room shenanigans.

It's strangely exciting leading a double life. Not as exciting as 007. In fact, nothing close. But it got me thinking, maybe the guy next to me has a deep dark secret and he has to carry that around with him the whole time. How tough would that be. Living a lie. Pretending to be something you are not. I couldn't countenance doing that (even trying to live the life of someone who is not a Rabbi's Kid was tough enough for me).

What about those people who have an amazing story, or are simply heroes of our time. The old lady taking her time, getting me frustrated. Maybe she's got some numbers tattooed on her arm. Maybe the punk over there volunteers with kids in risk. Maybe the smelly hobo in the gutter gave too much money to others, and didn't take care of himself.

I guess I'll have to learn to respect everyone, whoever they are. Food for thought.

TRK

4 Comments:

At 4/08/2005 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post makes me suspect that you might have had a somewhat charmed life. When someone has experienced something tragic or heroic, often there's a lot of fanfare. Maybe for a while. When the fanfare goes away, they think to themselves, "don't these people know that I'm the person who ______?" And when you realize that no one remembers your scars, and no one cares, you realize that anyone can have the same sorts of scars you have. I find generally that the more shallow and self-centered people are, the easier their lives have been. (Obviously there are exceptions to every generalization.) I'm glad you finally came to this realization, that you're not the only one who has a life.

 
At 4/09/2005 10:22 PM, Blogger Chai18 said...

its all power politics-you assume everyone else would care just as much as you did about the experiences in your life, you cant fathom how people don't understand what you went through. how could anyone else's experiences even compare to ones own? its not until one comes to the realization that not everyone is going to care about you unless you give them a reason to, unconditional love and care is very rare unless it is among your family and even then its not always automatic.

 
At 4/10/2005 7:58 AM, Blogger LostSpirit said...

Must confess that I have had similar kind of thoughts, such as when holding the door open for a chasiddeshe women in the kosher grocery store, it gets me thinking that imagine she has a blog and I will read about the guy holding the door open and looking her up and down for a split second to long!! But then again from the sound of things most of us bloggers are already use to a double life by having been all the years stuck in a system we do not to much believe in!!!

But I guess respecting everyone is something we all have to learn ourselves, as from our upbringing we are taught that unless a person wears the full 9 yards of kit he can not be an upstanding person.

 
At 4/11/2005 2:31 PM, Blogger TRK said...

thanks all for your comments. I see it as a constant process of maturity. I persistenly attempt to improve not only my tolerance of other people, but even my love for them. Especially the "other". But this can't come at the expense of the people I truly and dearly love, my family and friends. It's a question of balance, maturity and opening your heart.

TRK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home