Monday, August 08, 2005

Sunday Bloody Sunday

How we use our leisure time is a real test of who we are. There is a whole world out there to be experienced, tasted, studied and enjoyed. Watching terrible television or checking my sports team's latest news on the web doesn't match up to that. There are museums and theatre to try out, parks and forests to explore, weird and wonderful people with fascinating stories to hear. G-d's beautiful enigmatic universe is right outside my door. I just have to get up, get out and get to it while I still can.

Even if I want to stay inside, there is a wealth of information I could glean from books, culinary adventures I could have in the kitchen, expand my horizons on the net. As always, the net has a lot of good but can easily lead you into a world of pain.

I used to be a hardcore member of the Bittul Zman fellowship, i.e. learn Torah unless you are doing something else absolutely necessary. That ideology has gone off the rails for me somewhat, but I still believe in the theory of living a productive life. Something for me to work on. Anyone understand? Got any advice?

Sunday Bloody Sunday

TRK

7 Comments:

At 8/08/2005 9:54 AM, Blogger TRK said...

then get out there and experience this incredible world. GO! travel, cook, meet people, hear, smell, get out there, live life to the full.

 
At 8/08/2005 6:19 PM, Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

I've got the opposite reaction. The more I'm out in the world, lulei demistafina, the more I find that, to paraphrase the Scrabble advertisement: "I'd rather be learning Tosfos."

There is so much out there. You could spend your whole life and not read through every blog, every magazine, every book, hear every song, see every landscape, watch every film, visit every museum.

Life is by definitiong so very limiting, so if I'm going to limit myself anyway, I'd rather be an expert in Torah--or at least, in subjects that will help me understand and explain Torah better.

 
At 8/09/2005 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those of us who may not be up to Cloo's very lofty ambitions:

TRK, my dream is to rent a cottage in the woods somewhere and experience nature. Just for a week. Just me, the family, and trees, rivers, animals and a fire grill. Alas, I'm taking the family to Miami next January.

 
At 8/10/2005 1:08 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

TRK: First of all, if you move to Israel, you aren't troubled by such problems, as Sunday is a work day. Second of all - I suggest you read "The Phantom Tollbooth."
It will help motivate you as well :-)

Lastly - if you were in Israel, there is SO much to do to help Am Yisrael, that not only fo you keep busy, but its 100% mitzvot, "Netto"

(And I could help smuggle you into Gush Katif as well, using the well working "Underground Jewish Railroad".)

 
At 8/10/2005 7:12 AM, Blogger TRK said...

What book is that Jameel?

Wouldn't you be worried I'd work for the Shabak in GK?

You haven't responded yet to OC's claim the the plan is not "callous".

 
At 8/11/2005 2:17 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

TRK: Here's the book link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0394820371/qid=1123751661/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3422285-5640033?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I'm hopefully getting an "official" pass to let me spend the next 2 weeks in Gush Katif (legally, even though thats SO against my principles) since I'm an active volunteer MDA EMT/ambulance driver.

Lastly - I must have missed OC's comment on the plan not being "callous." I'll reply on my blog today. BTW - I've been posting there almost every day lately. You can link to the muqata as well (oops, sorry for that totally self-serving comment)

 
At 9/19/2005 12:18 PM, Blogger Mata Hari said...

I have cultivated a diverse group of active friends - so there's the one who likes to bike and the one who's good for museums and the one who gets the nuances of what i'm trying to say with mental shorthand etc. etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home